Death Away From Home

If a loved one dies while away from home, you may suddenly find yourself wondering “what do I do?” Dealing with a loss is never easy, but dealing with a loss away from your hometown can seem especially complicated.

The staff at Rea Funeral Chapel & Cremation Services are experienced in helping families make the necessary arrangements regardless of where the death occurred. If you find yourself in any of the below situations, we can help.

In Another Community

When death occurs, the family should contact our funeral home before arranging any type of final disposition services, particularly if you wish to transfer the deceased to the Overland area.

Outside the United States

If a person dies while traveling outside the United States, you will need to notify the U.S. Embassy in the country where the death occurred (though officials in the foreign country may notify the embassy for you). The staff at Rea Funeral Chapel & Cremation Services is well versed in the necessary procedures and will work with the embassy to get your loved one back to the United States.

When Traveling

Contact Rea Funeral Chapel & Cremation Services and notify us of the death so we can help make arrangements through a local funeral home to transfer the remains to our facility. If the coroner or medical examiner is involved, they can also help coordinate arrangements with our funeral home for the preparation and return of your loved one to the Sedalia area.

Documents Required

Regardless of where the death occurs, it is helpful to have the following information ready. Officials in the locality of the death will need some of this information for the death certificate, and our staff will need this information in order to make the necessary arrangements for the preparation and transit the deceased.

• Date and place of birth (city and state)
• Social security number
• Veteran status
• Educational level
• Parents’ names including mother’s maiden name
• Place of burial/cremation
• Usual occupation